Advertisement

Tuesday 29 March 2016

Clever People vs Well meaning People and Cancer cures.

Its really quite incredible how many perceived, but unverified "cancer cures" are out there,  and the incredible emotion that telling someone you have "cancer" releases in that person.

My old School mate Belly rang me and said "you have to get on Harry's  treatment"!
Harry's treatment, says "you should have a frozen lemon a day",
I went to school with both of them, and I don't remember either of them being especially smart, except at dodging School work, and chasing Sheilas, so particularly skeptical of any scholastically related medical advice from them.

But I was chuffed and grateful they cared enough to be concerned about me, so I now enjoy a frozen lemon every day, happy to do that, as it might help my diet, and on a hot day very refreshing.

My old friend Georgina says I should be on turmeric, as an anti inflammatory, she has a friends mothers aunt, twice removed that has has been taking it, that has survived cancer for 3 years after being told she only had months to live, so happy to do that, Georgina is a nurse and pretty well versed in medical issues, so probably should listen to her and again grateful she cared.
And I have noticed my joints are a lot better, so might be a good thing to do anyway.

And even doing some renovations on a smaller house we have just downsized to,  the roof tiler George today, he says that cruciferous vegetables are the answer, so will consume a few more of them, should be doing that anyway.

Most of these options are probably good healthy things to do, that might help, so why not.

And I am incredibly grateful for prayers and solutions offered up, so eternally grateful for any snippet of hope.

The other side of advice that does concern me is related to Drug Companies.

Unfortunately I have noticed generally many people have an ax to grind about drug companies, considering them to all have questionable motives.

What does concern me is quite common vitriol directed against them by whom I normally consider to be rational people.

Usually goes something like this.
"They" (whoever "They" are), have the cure for cancer, but are withholding it as they will not be able to make any money out of their current drugs".

Its my belief  that nothing could be further from the truth!

Olivia Newton John Wellness Centre
Having been involved in a drug trail for 12 months at the
Olivia Newton John Wellness Center
at  The Austin Hospital in Melbourne.

I was introduced to a group of incredibly dedicated Doctors Nurses and Researchers, who passionately work with patients to test new theories and drugs, and make sure they are safe.

These people need societies support, not criticism, and I believe we need to be putting more money into general research, not denigrating and criticizing them for there association with Drug companies.


My story is a great example of the good that comes out of research.

After my cancer progressed, the trial was un blinded and it was revealed that I had been on the placebo, no wonder I wasn't getting any side effects!
But I was very quickly offered the new drugs Yervoy and Keytruda, that were the best treatment at the time likely to work.
I was tested and Scanned, but after 6 months it was clear they hadn't worked either.

By this stage I had a couple large tumors 53mm and 32mm in my lungs that were causing some serious issues, with blood clots forming.

So I was offered the next best treatment, dabrafenib-trametinib combination.

So after three months on this treatment, I was amazed to find that they have largely disappeared with now only one, 4 mm lesion visible on the scan.

This is an amazing result.

I have been warned that it may only be a short term solution, but realistically I would not be writing this now had they not worked, so pretty happy about that, an extra six months is better than no months!
Who Knows it might keep working, as we are getting closer to dare to talk about a cure.

Click Here for the story on Targeted Oncology

"So for the first time in the melanoma field, we dare to use the word 'cure' with our patients."

So I am very thankful that Glaxosmithkline invested the Millions of dollars that is required to develop and test the safety and efficacy of these drugs.

Of course life goes on, which I think people forget, regardless of health issues there still the ordinary things in life that have to be attended to.

And to put ourselves in a position where we can retire if we need to, we have downsized.

Selling our larger house and moving into a smaller one, to free up some cash, and make life a little less stressful.

I'm still waiting for the less stress part to happen, but we are nearly all shifted

However shifting house is always stressful, and as we try and fit a 28 square house into a 12 square house, some things have to go, including some of our prized possessions.

My favorite chair had to go, but many of my Brides possessions have also had to go.

Unfortunately I may have been more ruthless in her absence, at throwing out her possessions, rather than mine.
So she informs me that "you're not going to die of cancer, I'm going to kill you first!

But back to the Stockmarket, I think its important who you listen to.
There's plenty of advice our there, it may be well meaning, but it is often misinformed.

So Im looking to surround myself with more people that are better informed and cleverer than me, like I have done medically.

Unfortunately they seem a bit harder to find in the financial sector!




No comments:

Post a Comment