Advertisement

Thursday 3 September 2015

House Rules | Predicting the future

After 35 years of happy marriage I just want to touch on a subject I don't really understand.

That is "house rules", My Beautiful bride for all this time has always run a tight ship around the house based on a set of rules.

I have no problems with this, as the kids growing up knew what they had to do, and me as the dutiful husband, just fell into line, and the household ran as a well oiled machine.

But I sometimes misread or misunderstand "the rules", because the rules change!

I don't think Im alone here, as its not an easy task, very similar to reading the stock market!
The old House rules on inflation debt valuation and business models seem to be very hard to read at  the moment, and our market is struggling with the new rules.

And new rules are being put up all the time.
The old rule was when the US sneezes Australia gets a cold, the new rule is when China sneezes Australia gets a cold, no warning its just happened.

Not dissimilar to our changes in "House Rules" at home, I wasn't warned, it just happened.
I will give you a couple of examples.

In the "new" house we moved into about 10 years ago there was a rule that:
"The Shower door screen must be closed after use and remain shut.
No problems with that, sounds reasonable, looks nice and tidy.

Then about 18 month a ago, there was a new rule imposed,
"The shower screen door must always be left open after use!

No acclimatisation  amnesty or adjustment period, just implementation, with No explanation, that's just the new rule.

Then this morning we have a new rule!
The new rule revolves around the storing of the soap bottle after use in the vanity area of the ensuite.

 This isn't a big part of the day, I find it quite distressing to spend an inordinate amount of time in front of the mirror, so my man scaping activities only take about 60 seconds, and I skip this routine on weekends.

My use of the soap bottle is to squirt a couple of drops onto my shaving brush, prior to a 30 second shave.

I was actually unaware I was moving the bottle, as it only requires a quick hand pump to do the job.

But apparently not,  the new rule is that the soap bottle must be positioned permanently on the porcelain part of the vanity, and never be allowed to reside on the "surrounds".

No exceptions no amnesty or adjustment period, no grandfathering clause, just comply or lookout!!
My point is that we can laugh about this, (Im not really Laughing) but in the real world rules change and change very quickly.

Its not "the management", "The Reserve Bank"or "the government" that's responsible.

Its the disrupters, Myers has been slammed today because they don't have a business plan to move them to the new Rule, "The Internet"

Many of these established players are struggling with this.

But some of the future is predictable, Google marches on.
Companies like Google, Apple, Amazon, Real-estate.com, Carsales.com are changing the rules.
you can predict that!

So lots of opportunity, but we wont be warned about it!

3D printing, 3D Systems (NYSE:DDD) and other companies in that space have the potential to disrupt a lot of manufacturing.

Cloud computing, you don't need a big computer anymore, my first laptop was $3,500, just upgraded to a new laptop for $450, because I no longer need a lot of storage, it will be in the cloud so I can access it anywhere.
Companies Like Apple and Google taking advantage, but we have some here Bulletproof, http://www.bulletproof.net.au/investors/

The world is a very different place after the internet, and the rules continue to change.
The  most profitable companies of the next 20 years probably haven't listed yet.

I think the current Jitters in the market are a lot to do with this, that with people worried about their jobs because of the disrupters, and investor's trying to work out the implications of the rule changes.
and trying to work out where China fits in as it develop.

And I will have to make a decision on a few non performers in my portfolio, Like Myers, the rules for them have changed and even Jenifer Hawkins hasn't been able to help them work it out.

So I have to thank my bride for keeping my mind nimble, and making me aware of the worlds new paradigm.

So we are going to have to rapidly get used to the "new rules" or Lookout!

Just like at Home!.







No comments:

Post a Comment