Advertisement

Sunday 22 November 2015

Theres nothing like a terminal illness to focus your mind!

Having recently been told I'm running out of options to control my Melanoma, there is a nagging realization my time on the planet might be limited, I'm now more interested in meeting a clever oncologist than a clever stock broker.

So I'm contemplating what I should do about many things.

I really enjoy work, as they are a great bunch of people, so will be hard to leave.

However family should come first, and I also enjoy watching my 30 year old son still out there playing and coaching Australian Rules football, enjoying his struggles, and listening to him coach young minds, is great fun, and entertaining! so i need to do more of that.

And watching my daughter who has more qualifications than many, mastering her academic life easily, but struggling with two small innocent boys, (my Grandsons are perfect of Course).

I find it incredibly entertaining watching her two young sons drag her begrudgingly to football matches on a cold wet winters day, and kick the football around the house, regardless of their mothers protestations!

And I need to spend more time taking my grandsons fishing, whilst most of the time is spent de snagging lines and replacing baits, it is still a lot of fun.

When last week we lost a fishing rod, taken by a giant fish, that just gets bigger ever time we tell the story! I need to be part of more stories.

So spending more time with family and friends is now a priority.
So should I give up work? I don't really know, but the reasons to leave seem to out way the reasons to stay, so I think its time to have some fun.

 And I would like to spend some time with my bride, its amazing how little time we've had together, both working and getting on with life, so its time to do that, although she doesn't take instruction well, so could be quite interesting times in the caravan!

So what does it change from an investing philosophy, probably not much, but it does focus your mind, and how do you generate an income from a superfund you were planning to leave in an accumulation and growth phase,  rather than looking for an income out of it.

Should stocks be sold, and be rearranged for more income?

Should we downsize? and what will  real estate  prices do long term?

I will have a bit of grumble on both shortly, but in the meantime I have to go and meet my new oncologist, I hope hes a bit cleverer than my stockbroker!  (That was  joke Evan!)












No comments:

Post a Comment